Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Slowing Down

Slowing Down

There is no doubt that the world is moving much faster these days. Multiple jobs, families, and functions keep individuals and families extremely busy. Many of those people surrounded by the hustle and bustle of the world do not get an opportunity to slow down and reflect. Looking back over past events provides a great chance to evaluate growth, knowledge, and change. Pausing for a moment to reflect is exactly what I did after completing an English course. I definitely found many benefits in doing so.

I am twenty two years old and am very busy. I am enrolled in school full time, work full time as a sales and operations manager, and recently moved in with my boyfriend of four years. I have found it can be quite difficult managing school, work, and house work. I also became an aunt last December to my nephew, Braxton, which also keeps me busy. My ultimate goal is to graduate with a four year degree in Business Management, and hopefully go on to receive a master’s degree.

I took English 101 because it was a required course, and had no idea what I was getting my self into. This course was definitely overwhelming, and kept me busy. From readings, to papers, to movie analysis, this course challenged my thinking, and expanded my ideals. From each section I was enlightened with the stories, and was able to revamp my writing skills. I learned how important finding one’s identity is, just how many communities there really are, and how traditions unite everyone. Before this class I thought traditions and identity were largely shaped and influenced by a person’s family. Now, I understand that other outside factors play a role as well like trends, and society. I also became more aware of how many traditions are new inventions, not ones passed down from generation to generation. I always thought English courses focused on spelling and punctuation, not how the diversity surrounding us impacts us, and evolves.

At the end of this course we were asked to reflect on our writings, and then select a few to be presented in a portfolio. To be honest, I had never done that, and was not that excited about it. Once I began to reread my papers I could see why we were being asked to reflect. I could see how my writing had changed, and how it had grown. After revisiting my papers, and the comments made by the instructors, it was fairly easy to select what to include in my portfolio. I choose to include “A Shift in Community” because this paper shows how my analysis has grown, and also because it included thoughts from my Grandfather, who is very special to me. I choose “Culture and Identity” because I was never fully satisfied with this paper, and was excited for a chance to revise it. I selected “My Identity” because I enjoyed writing this piece, and also because it is something that anyone would enjoy reading. Finally, I included “Tradition and Pop Culture” because it was about a topic I can relate to, and enjoy; fashion.

Reading these papers gives more insight to my thoughts and to me as a person. Enjoy!

2 comments:

None said...

D
Great stuff. Loved your postings and your reflection piece, as well as working with you in "class" this quarter. Best to you.
Molly B

Erica K. said...

Hi Dawn, I was really impressed with your portfolio You did an awesome job in every aspect to it, well done! I enjoyed working with you in this class during the quarter. Good luck in the future!
Erica